Twitter, X, whatever is slowly becoming more and more unusable by the day, ever since November 2022. Several times I’ve heard people ask “where are visual novel developers moving to?”, which is usually responded with “Tiktok” or “Tumblr”. But as of yet, we don’t really have any data on this.
As we get close to the one year mark since Someone took over Twitter, I decided to do a formal survey on this so we can see more definitively what social media developers are moving to.
Some notes before we begin:
- This survey was anonymous and was shared via my Twitter, Tumblr, and various visual novel developer Discord servers. It was open for about a week.
- Around 1/6th of the submissions were discarded due to high chances of them being bot responses, with very human responses such as “With the development of the Internet, social media also needs fans to support the development, which is abandoned by The Times for the independent development”.
- All long-form questions were optional. All multiple choice / checkbox questions were required.
- 55 developers took the survey, 56 including myself. This is the final count after discarding the bot submissions.
- Sites like Patreon, ko-fi, and newsletters were not considered as social media platforms for the purposes of this survey.